Skip to main content

Who am I?


I checked the clock. The numbers glowed green: 9:30. My sisters were all asleep, but I was still tossing and turning. Something felt off. I pictured my heart as a puzzle, the kind with a frame and pieces that simply matched up, not interlocked. A piece was missing. I wasn't quite sure what it all meant, but I knew I needed to talk to my dad.
 
I was a little apprehensive as I walked down the hallway to the stairs out of my grandparents' basement. A few weeks earlier I had been unable to sleep, frustrated and saddened and confused by the family situation. Why would God put my mom in the hospital with heart failure, then again with cancer? Why would He make my brother be born premature? Why did my dad have to spend so much time away from us, especially since Mommy wasn't around? Daddy had told me about Job, and I had been able sleep a little better. Now, though, I was supposed to be in bed. It was late, and Daddy was surely busy. But I had to talk to him. I knew that what was going on in my heart was more important than staying in bed.

I stood on the stairs and called out, “Daddy?” No response.
 
A little louder, “Daddy?” Nothing.
 
Once again, “Daddy?”
 
“Go to bed, Ali.” From the living room.
 
I mustered all my courage: “Daddy, I need to talk to you.”

Slowly, my dad came down stairs. We went back into the bedroom, and turned on the side table light. I explained the emptiness, the missing piece. My dad listened, and then he grabbed his Bible. He explained that what I was missing was Jesus. That I was a sinner, in need of salvation. That I could do nothing to save myself, but that Jesus died on the cross and rose again to take the penalty for my sins. That if I asked in faith, if I repented and turned from my sins, that God would forgive me, and make me His child. That the Holy Spirit would come and live in me. That the emptiness, the missing piece would be filled.
 
We talked for a long time. I remember it being after 10:00 when my dad asked, “Do you want to pray tonight or wait for tomorrow?” I considered briefly, then decided, “I better do it tonight. I might not feel like it in the morning.”

So that night, I became a Christian. I was saved. My life was forever going to be different.

Since that night a lot has changed. I am older, and hopefully I'm a little wiser. I am married, with a daughter of my own. One thing, though, has not changed. I am still a beloved child of God. I've had ups and downs, periods of growth and periods of wandering. Yet God has remained faithful. He has carried me through the most difficult parts of my life. For that, I am eternally grateful.

Jesus took a sad, lonely, angry 9 year old girl, and brought her into His kingdom. He saved me from my sin, and placed the righteousness of His Son, Jesus, on me. I need not fear death, nor sin, nor Satan himself, for I have been saved by grace.

I find my life purpose is now most clearly explained in the Westminster Larger Catechism question and answer #1:

Q. 1 What is the chief and highest end of man?
A. 1 Man's chief and highest end is to glorify God, and fully to enjoy Him forever.

All I do or think or write or say I try to filter through this lens. I don't do it perfectly, by any means, but it is a work in progress. I invite you to join me as I continue to walk this path called life and see what lessons I learn along the way.

Comments

  1. It is a wonderful thing that you had a loving, caring Father who took the time that confused night to help you and introduce you to the Almighty Father and His saving grace. Some of us didn’t have loving parents.
    I too have ask a lot of why questions but we seldom get the answers we are listening for. We do hear the promises of: Do not fear and I will never leave you nor forsake you. We live in a fallen world and we are called to be salt and light making others hungry for the hope of our calling. I have heard that the puzzle pieces come together when we give Him all the pieces. We are ever changing into the glory of His image. Little by little and from glory to glory. Be not weary in well doing for you will reap in due season if you faint not.
    One day when I was broken hearing that my dad’s cancer had spread and my new marriage was struggling, I cried out to the Lord “why me?” “Why this” and He said “what good does it do Me, to send you to a place, that doesn’t need Me?”

    It made the presence of the Holy Spirit that lives in each one of us ever more real. He uses us to be the Jesus, the God with skin on, to people who need Him when THEY need Him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mommy

When I was ten years old, my mom died. It was a quiet January evening in 2006. My sister and I were playing Bible Scattergories with a family friend. Our little sisters were playing a game on the computer. Our baby brother must have been sleeping. Daddy walked into the family room and declared, “I think Mommy just died.” He sat heavily on the couch and began to sob. All four of us girls began to cry and wail. After only a moment, I was struck by an urgent need to see her. I walked slowly through our kitchen, and down the dark hallway to my parents' bedroom. There, in the hospital bed, lay my mommy. She looked asleep. She looked at peace, for the first time in years. I remember touching her face gently. It was still warm. I left the room as the rest of the family entered. I had pee. But there, in the bathroom, I received the most amazing gift. I felt what was surely the peace of God descend on me there, on the toilet (of all elegant places). Everything was going

My Birth Story

Sitting on my bed, I stared at the brand new creature in my arms. She was beautiful, eyes open wide, staring in wonder at the fuzzy world around her. She was so small as I held her, and yet she had seemed SO BIG just a few minutes before (if you know what I mean). But how did we get here, to this magical dreamland of oxytocin-induced bliss?  My birth story does not start with “I went into labor at x time.” It needs just a little more background. Warning: This story is pretty detailed. Depending on how much you actually want to know about birth, proceed with caution. At around 36 weeks, I began to develop PUPPP, which stands for pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy. In short, it is the worst rash that you can possibly imagine. It has no known cause, though some theories include an over-taxed liver, an allergic reaction to the baby's cells, or overstretched skin. It typically starts in the belly's stretch marks. It is more common in first pregnancies, particularly