Skip to main content

Ponder the Paths


Proverbs 4:25-27

Let your eyes look straight ahead,
And your eyelids look right before you.
Ponder the path of your feet
and let all your ways be established.
Do not turn to the right or the left;
Remove your feet from evil.



I walked through Walmart, absently pulling the items on my list and placing them in my cart. Mustard, pickles, raisin bran, cottage cheese, two cans of Pringles. Wait. Pringles aren't on my list. They don't help my body. They reinforce the bad habits I'm trying to remove. But none of these thoughts actually ran through my head. I wouldn't allow them. It's too hard to face reality, to think about the choices I am making. It is much more comfortable to go with the flow of old, destructive habits.


While reading through Proverbs recently, I found the verses above. I swear I have read my Bible cover to cover, but these verses were completely unfamiliar. They hit me out of the blue and touched on a rather sore spot. I would much rather not think, do the easy thing, then consider my actions and the consequences that follow. Unfortunately, I act without thinking more than I would like to admit. Really seeing what I am doing makes me uncomfortable, because the things I want to do are not things I should be doing far too frequently.


But how often do we stop and consider what we put in our mouths, our ears, our eyes? Isn't easier to do than to think? Yes, absolutely. However, we are called to more than that. Proverbs 4:26 calls on us to “ponder the path of our feet”. No mindless walking through life. We must focus on the road we are walking, the habits we are enforcing.


The next lines focus on how we should walk that road. Our ways should be established, with no wandering. “Remove your feet from evil.” Not only should we be consciously walking the path of life, we must focus on the right path. We must choose to walk away from evil, from foods that harm us, from actions that pull us away from the race set before us.


When it comes to food choices, it is much, much too easy to mindlessly consume junk. The foods designed to be craved and binged, to fill our brain with nice feelings, will override our good sense. But we can't let that happen. Every day, as we live life, as we work to make good choices and establish new habits, we must ponder the path of our feet. Keep our eyes straight ahead, on our goal, not the sugar-coated lies that pull at our tastebuds. Don't let yourself get distracted. Stay conscious, make good choices, and work through another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mommy

When I was ten years old, my mom died. It was a quiet January evening in 2006. My sister and I were playing Bible Scattergories with a family friend. Our little sisters were playing a game on the computer. Our baby brother must have been sleeping. Daddy walked into the family room and declared, “I think Mommy just died.” He sat heavily on the couch and began to sob. All four of us girls began to cry and wail. After only a moment, I was struck by an urgent need to see her. I walked slowly through our kitchen, and down the dark hallway to my parents' bedroom. There, in the hospital bed, lay my mommy. She looked asleep. She looked at peace, for the first time in years. I remember touching her face gently. It was still warm. I left the room as the rest of the family entered. I had pee. But there, in the bathroom, I received the most amazing gift. I felt what was surely the peace of God descend on me there, on the toilet (of all elegant places). Everything was going

My Birth Story

Sitting on my bed, I stared at the brand new creature in my arms. She was beautiful, eyes open wide, staring in wonder at the fuzzy world around her. She was so small as I held her, and yet she had seemed SO BIG just a few minutes before (if you know what I mean). But how did we get here, to this magical dreamland of oxytocin-induced bliss?  My birth story does not start with “I went into labor at x time.” It needs just a little more background. Warning: This story is pretty detailed. Depending on how much you actually want to know about birth, proceed with caution. At around 36 weeks, I began to develop PUPPP, which stands for pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy. In short, it is the worst rash that you can possibly imagine. It has no known cause, though some theories include an over-taxed liver, an allergic reaction to the baby's cells, or overstretched skin. It typically starts in the belly's stretch marks. It is more common in first pregnancies, particularly

Who am I?

I checked the clock. The numbers glowed green: 9:30. My sisters were all asleep, but I was still tossing and turning. Something felt off. I pictured my heart as a puzzle, the kind with a frame and pieces that simply matched up, not interlocked. A piece was missing. I wasn't quite sure what it all meant, but I knew I needed to talk to my dad.   I was a little apprehensive as I walked down the hallway to the stairs out of my grandparents' basement. A few weeks earlier I had been unable to sleep, frustrated and saddened and confused by the family situation. Why would God put my mom in the hospital with heart failure, then again with cancer? Why would He make my brother be born premature? Why did my dad have to spend so much time away from us, especially since Mommy wasn't around? Daddy had told me about Job, and I had been able sleep a little better. Now, though, I was supposed to be in bed. It was late, and Daddy was surely busy. But I had to talk to him. I knew t