Skip to main content

Rebuilding What has Been Destroyed


For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.”
Galatians 2:18


I am a new creation, a child of God. I frequently struggle to live this out.

At present, I am struggling with food. I love to eat for all the wrong reasons. I want to eat away my boredom, my thoughts, my discomfort. It's rarely about taste, desire, or fullness. I use it to self-medicate, to get to a spot where I am numb and don't have to think about my life. It is often in ridiculous quantities, because the longer I am eating, the longer I can ignore everything else.


For me, food is an idol. It is something that consumes my thoughts. I will go to extreme lengths to obtain a package of cookie dough, or 2 liters of soda, or worse. It has brought out parts of me that I don't like: deceit, anger, selfishness. I would much rather stuff my face and ignore the consequences than take the time to read my Bible, or say a prayer for help.

I'm happy to report that I have made progress with this issue. I don't binge as frequently, or on as harmful of foods as I have in the past. But it is still a mindset that I struggle against. I still will find myself walking to the store, baby in tow, to get what my flesh craves.

That is why this particular verse struck me while reading through Galatians recently. As a new creation, the flesh has been replaced. My new heart of flesh desires to please God, to enjoy Him. These old desires and habits have been destroyed. And yet, I persist in rebuilding them. I seek out the earthly pleasures, rather than those above. That, in itself, makes me a transgressor. Every time I consume something obsessively, be it cookie dough or Pringles, I am rebuilding that which has been destroyed. I am serving the old slave master that is sin, and turning my back on the gift of salvation so graciously bestowed on me.

I am not saying Pringles, soda and cookies are inherently evil. Many can and do enjoy these things without issue. But for me, it is obsessive. For me, it is idolatry. I am striving to root out this evil, seeking instead to serve my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
 
Sanctification is a process, and for that I am grateful. I still battle with my flesh against eating junk food, but God is not done with me yet. It is possible that I will continue to fight with my desires on this for years to come. But God is faithful. The work He has begun He will surely complete.
 
At the same time, it is imperative that I watch my actions and attitudes. Do I live as child of God, redeemed and forgiven? Or do I rebuild the things that have been destroyed, following the old man? My prayer is that as I continue walking this path, I draw closer to my Father in Heaven, dying more and more to the desires of the flesh.
 
I ask you to walk with me on this journey, as I screw up, struggle, and succeed. How can I be praying for you, as we work to grow closer to our Savior?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mommy

When I was ten years old, my mom died. It was a quiet January evening in 2006. My sister and I were playing Bible Scattergories with a family friend. Our little sisters were playing a game on the computer. Our baby brother must have been sleeping. Daddy walked into the family room and declared, “I think Mommy just died.” He sat heavily on the couch and began to sob. All four of us girls began to cry and wail. After only a moment, I was struck by an urgent need to see her. I walked slowly through our kitchen, and down the dark hallway to my parents' bedroom. There, in the hospital bed, lay my mommy. She looked asleep. She looked at peace, for the first time in years. I remember touching her face gently. It was still warm. I left the room as the rest of the family entered. I had pee. But there, in the bathroom, I received the most amazing gift. I felt what was surely the peace of God descend on me there, on the toilet (of all elegant places). Everything was going

My Birth Story

Sitting on my bed, I stared at the brand new creature in my arms. She was beautiful, eyes open wide, staring in wonder at the fuzzy world around her. She was so small as I held her, and yet she had seemed SO BIG just a few minutes before (if you know what I mean). But how did we get here, to this magical dreamland of oxytocin-induced bliss?  My birth story does not start with “I went into labor at x time.” It needs just a little more background. Warning: This story is pretty detailed. Depending on how much you actually want to know about birth, proceed with caution. At around 36 weeks, I began to develop PUPPP, which stands for pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy. In short, it is the worst rash that you can possibly imagine. It has no known cause, though some theories include an over-taxed liver, an allergic reaction to the baby's cells, or overstretched skin. It typically starts in the belly's stretch marks. It is more common in first pregnancies, particularly

Who am I?

I checked the clock. The numbers glowed green: 9:30. My sisters were all asleep, but I was still tossing and turning. Something felt off. I pictured my heart as a puzzle, the kind with a frame and pieces that simply matched up, not interlocked. A piece was missing. I wasn't quite sure what it all meant, but I knew I needed to talk to my dad.   I was a little apprehensive as I walked down the hallway to the stairs out of my grandparents' basement. A few weeks earlier I had been unable to sleep, frustrated and saddened and confused by the family situation. Why would God put my mom in the hospital with heart failure, then again with cancer? Why would He make my brother be born premature? Why did my dad have to spend so much time away from us, especially since Mommy wasn't around? Daddy had told me about Job, and I had been able sleep a little better. Now, though, I was supposed to be in bed. It was late, and Daddy was surely busy. But I had to talk to him. I knew t